Pages

Monday 6 February 2012

Keep Calm and Carry On...

Time for another Sam update! Nothing much has really changed since my last update... I have been feeling a bit on the 'yukky' side since Friday, but the doctors seem to think that it is the new combination of antibiotics getting to work and you can often feel worse before you feel better. On the plus side my infetion markers are coming down which means that the antibiotics are working to remove the infection.

I thought I'd give you a taste of what an average day on Foulis ward in the Royal Brompton is like:
8.00am - Wake up and round one of intravenous antibiotics (IV)... Meropenum and Ciprofloxacin (1 and a bit hours) As well as taking my usual plethora of oral drugs.
8.30am - breakfast
9.00am - nebuliser (Pulmozyme - to help thin mucous)
10.00am - physio
10.45am - time on the NIV to recover from physio (up to an hour)
1.00pm - Lunch
2.00pm - physio, with a bit of a walk
3.00pm - NIV time (hour ish)
3.15pm - IV round 2; Tobramycin and Meropenum (about 40 minutes)
6.30pm - dinner
8.00pm - physio and time to take oral drugs.
8.30pm - NIV time
10.00pm - Night time IV cocktail Mero and Cipro (hour ish)
11.00pm - start to settle for bed...

During the morning and afternoon I will also be guaranteed a visit from the doctors to discuss battle plans, as well as my good friend the phlebotamist... This is to check mainly for infection markers (CRP levels) and to check liver function, as the drugs can be quite harsh to it. Oh, and regular visits from nurses to check your observations (sat levels, temperature, heart rate and blood pressure). It's not quite what you may call a restful experience, it really is quite a fight when you aren't feeling 100%!

Seductive sleepwear... NIV baby!

The main thing that is concerning at the moment is my pesky heart rate. It keeps jumping around all over the place - behaving one minute and then for the next set of observations, it's tachycardic again!! Earlier this morning the doctors were talking of possible drug toxcicity, thyroid problems and so on... As I was writing, my registrar came in with some positive news - no thyroid problems, electrolyte imbalance or drug toxicity. She said that it could be due to the fact that after physio or eating, my lungs have to work quite hard as blood is diverted to muscels or my stomach my heart has to work harder. So I'll just have to spend a bit more time on my NIV after these activities. I hope that this will improve as my infection lessens. I suppose you could say at least I'm in the right place while they get to the bottom of this! I am trying to stay positive, however, I promised myself that this would be an honest blog. I am scared, chiefly because one would expect to get better when they come to hospital, but also, I am really anxious that this heart issue may interfere with my transplant. Obviously, feeling anxious and panicky is completely counter-intuitive, as these feelings will cause my heart rate to increase further! So I'm really trying to keep calm and to just chill out... Prayers for achieving this would be greatly appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. Definitely praying for you now and I will continue..... with what you have shared with all your concerns and worries.

    I will say my prayer I use to say over James when he was at home

    " Lord keep Sam safe this night secure her from all her fears,
    may angels guard her while she sleeps till morning light appears.

    Amen.

    x Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam you are such a trooper and an inspiration to all (especially me) - keep strong and continue to trust that God is in control, and be reminded that He will never leave you or forsake you! He promised it and we know that is true! (easier to say I know).

    When I read your latest blog, I first thought your NIV time was 'bible time'!! - I thought how holy you were and was very impressed! haha! that would've been something like 6 hours all in all! :) We are praying for you and missing you back here. Keep going with the blogs, they are so useful in keeping us up to date with how you are - and allowing us to pray for the things that you are finding not so easy. See you soon Mrs Yates!! Love Chrissy xxx

    ReplyDelete